.Healthy Futures Program Specialist
AmeriCorps Service Member Position
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Tri-Cities has been transforming the lives of children in the Tri-Cities area since 1985. We are a member agency of the oldest and largest youth mentoring organization in the United States, consisting of more than 350 agencies nationwide. Our agency currently serves the following counties: Sullivan, Carter, Hawkins, Washington, Kingsport, Johnson City, TN; and Washington, VA.
This position will play a key role in supporting our Littles and their families and on implementing communications and events focused on healthy lifestyles. This position is an AmeriCorps member service position for a one year term beginning in December 2021 with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Tri-Cities in Kingsport, TN, supported by the AppalCorps AmeriCorps program of the Appalachian RC&D Council.
- Assist program staff with screening volunteers and supporting current matches.
- Assist with or maintain a caseload of active mentors and mentees.
- Conduct wellness calls to families, ensuring they have access to healthy food and other essential services.
- Assist with inquiry calls, reference checks, and interviews of potential mentors and mentees.
- Plan and implement various match events with an emphasis on health, food insecurity, and necessary trainings.
- Aid in planning events and programs with other agencies.
- Research, plan, and distribute match activities via social media, e-newsletter, and other channels.
- Manage some recruitment activities.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Basic math, reading, and computer skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including occassional weekend averaging out to a 35-hour week
- Must submit to and pass a criminal history background check
- Must meet the requirements for the AmeriCorps program and commit to a one-year contract
- Gain valuable work experience in the non-profit sector
- Connection to a state-wide network of AmeriCorps members, AmeriCorps alumni, and supporting organizations
- Living allowance of $16,000 for the full one-year service term before taxes.
- Segal Education Award equalling the max amount awarded in a Pell Grant for the fiscal year of service. The Segal Education Award for a 12-month term of service equals $6,495.
- Student loan forbearance during service term
HOW TO APPLY
If you would like to join the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Tri-Cities, please provide a resume and cover letter to Melissa Dixon at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1st. Please include AmeriCorps Healthy Future Program Specialist in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Resumes will be accepted until December 1, 2021.
If you have questions about the ARCD AmeriCorps program, please contact Rachel Armor, ARCD AppalCorps Program Director.
The Appalachian Resource Conservation & Development Council is 501(c) (3) non-profit organization chartered in 1994. Our Board of Directors includes representation from across the region that we serve. Our mission is to conserve natural resources and improve rural economies through community leadership and enhanced educational opportunities. We work to preserve our heritage, promote local growers/producers and protect the lands of past generations so that future generations may be able to enjoy the natural wonders our region has to offer.