Do you love the idea of a farm tour, but don’t quite know what to expect? Let us tell you all about it! Our TN Farm Tour will take place throughout Washington County, TN on Saturday, June 23rd. Here’s everything you need to know:
Farms will provide a variety of activities from guided and self-guided tours to demonstrations and hands-on experiences and most farms will have goods for sale. Participants choose their own schedule for the day and how many farms to visit. All farm experiences are family friendly for all ages.
Date: Saturday, June 23, 2018
Where: Washington County, Tennessee
Time: 8 am – 8 pm
Tickets: Tickets are $15 per vehicle for one day or $25 for both days and may be purchased online at: http://arcd.org/registration/
Tickets may be purchased in-person at Boone St. Market in Jonesborough, TN.
The regional Farm Fresh Appalachia Farm Tour is a partnership between Appalachian RC&D Council, Appalachian Sustainable Development, Boone Street Market, and the Northeast Tennessee Tourism Association, funded by the USDA. This year will be the first of what we hope is an annual event connecting our region to our local farms. Participating farms in Tennessee will be open June 23 and in Virginia on June 30, to welcome the public to experience the farm behind the scenes. Farms will provide a variety of activities from guided and self-guided tours to demonstrations and hands-on experiences, and goods for sale. All farm experiences are family friendly for all ages.
How It Works
- Buy a ticket/car pass.
- Map your route for farms you’d like to visit and plan your day. Don’t forget to factor in driving time and the time it will take to tour the farm. You should allow yourself 1-1.5 hours at each farm. Most visitors see 3-4 farms on tour day. Many farms are offering special programs at specific times, so time your visits to make the most of your day. Take advantage of restrooms along the way. Some farms will have restroom facilities available — but many do not.
- Bring a cooler, freezer bags, and some cash. Many farms offer on-farm sales on tour day. You will be able to purchase fresh produce, baked goods, plants, and other farm products.
- Dress for the weather (rain or shine!) and wear some sturdy shoes. Skip the perfume and heavily-scented body sprays — or the bees and bugs will find you. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Arrange a dog sitter – No dogs are allowed on the tour and all farms request that you do not bring your dog. Dogs can pose issues with farm animals.
Tennessee Tour Schedule
- 8-11 am: Grab breakfast from one of many farmers market vendors at the Johnson City or Jonesborough Farmers Markets and pick up your car pass for the day.
- 11 am-1 pm: FREE Lunch for Farm Tourists at Serenity Knoll
- 1-6 pm: Rural Farm Hop
Check out these participating farms and take advantage of the many roadside farm stands along the route!
- A Different Chick Farm & Orchard: Feed the cuties! (rabbits & chickens)
- Serenity Knoll: Cooking demos and farm sales w/ snacks and drinks all day
- Marigold Hill Farm & Gardens: Farm tour, on farm sales, hay rides, basket weaving expo, kids activities. Pick up your desserts for the day from a wonderful selection of baked goods at Marigold Hill.
- Grand Oak Farm: On farm sales, flowers, kids activities
- River Creek Farm: On farm sales, discounts offered on new CSA sign-ups
- 6-8 pm: Dinner at Main St. Pizza — River Creek Farm
Stop by River Creek Farm to pick-up a 10% off coupon for the Farm Tour Pizza — offered only the day of the Farm Tour, and topped with produce from the farms along the tour.
The Tennessee Tour offers three (3) Clusters in Washington County: Johnson City, Jonesborough and Sulphur Springs. Check out all 3 clusters here!