Communications and Fundraising Assistant
Appalachian RC&D Council, Johnson City
Applications accepted until position is filled.
The mission of the Appalachian RC&D Council is to improve rural economy in Northeast Tennessee through conservation of natural resources and enhanced educational opportunities.
We are looking for a dynamic and experienced communicator who will give a fresh perspective in helping tell the Appalachian RC&D Council story–to current and prospective donors, the news media, and the wider community.
QUALIFICATIONS: At least two years employment in the nonprofit realm working in communications, marketing, or development. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, editing and proofreading skills. MUST be able to “tell the story”, to write engaging copy that appeals to a variety of stakeholders. Must have access to and proficiency with Publisher/InDesign or similar publishing/design software to develop attractive and modern messaging/marketing pieces. Ability to work as an enthusiastic team player, participate in weekly team meetings, assist with events. A self-assured personality who can make quick decisions, talk easily with volunteers and donors and attend community meetings. Ideal candidate would also be familiar with WordPress, as well as basic web development.
RESPONSIBILITIES (50 hrs/month):
- Write fundraising letters and messaging pieces
- Design an engaging lead brochure
- Write blog posts, press releases, Op-Eds, and other related press materials
- Editor for e-newsletter quarterly, “What’s Growing TriCities”
- Update WordPress websites and other web design as able (database management, FTPing, simple coding).
- Attend staff meeting weekly in Johnson City
- Attend major events (average 6/year) to assist with and follow up report on
- Assist with design and editing of annual newsletter and mailing
- Grant and general proofreading
- The Assistant will work directly with the Executive Director and ARC&D staff, and report directly to the E.D.
- Some travel throughout northeast Tennessee
Position is salaried at $750/month for 50 hours. No benefits.
TO APPLY: Attn: Emily Bidgood, firstname.lastname@example.org
Email your resume, cover letter, and 1 writing or design sample (writing sample should be from your nonprofit experience and demonstrate that you meet the Qualifications and have the ability to “tell the story.”)
Competitive candidates may be asked to submit additional writing samples to show breadth of their ability and also edit a sample messaging piece from the ARC&D.
Questions welcome: (423) 979-2581 / email@example.com
The ARC&D is an equal opportunity employer.