A Fruit and Vegetable Prescription Program
What is the Farmacy?
The Farmacy is a free healthy eating initiative that supports SNAP recipient patients and their families. The Farmacy provides families with prescriptions to buy fresh fruits and vegetables in the form of coupons redeemable at Washington County TN Farmers Markets.
How does the Farmacy work?
- Families can sign up for free at the Johnson City Community Health Center, Johnson City Senior Center, and Jonesborough Senior Center.
- Health metrics like weight, BMI and A1C levels will be taken and a prescription for fresh fruits and vegetables will be issued.
- Families will take their weekly prescriptions to the farmers market and exchange them for wooden tokens.
- The tokens can be spent at any market booth on fresh fruits and vegetables.
What are the requirements?
In order to participate, at least one family member in the household must be a current SNAP/EBT recipient.
Participants must also meet certain health criteria. Please speak with Pat Aniol at the Johnson City Senior Center, call the front desk at the Johnson City Community Health Center, or speak with Kathleen O’Brien at the Jonesborough Senior Center.
What happens during my clinic visit?
At your first visit, you will be asked questions about your eating and food shopping habits and your health metrics will be measured. Your nurse will talk to you about your diet, how to eat healthy, and help you set healthy goals. Monthly check-ins to renew your prescription will help keep you on track for your healthy eating goals!
What are the benefits?
- FREE Fruits and Vegetables!
- Cooking Classes offered monthly, includes a free box of ingredients so you can make recipes at home!
- Guided Nutrition Tours of the Farmers Market, so you will learn how to eat healthy.
- Free Nutrition Education from the Health Resource Center at the Johnson City Mall.
Tips for Shopping at a Farmers Market
- Shop every week to see what is new. Some fruits and vegetables are available at the market for only a few weeks.
- Arrive at the market early to shop. Some popular items can sell out fast!
- Try new items. Vendors can suggest what to buy and how to prepare it.
- Taste samples at the Farmers Market Fresh booth!
- If you buy in large quantities, you may be able to freeze, can or dry it.
- Bring your child to the market and engage them in the experience!
- Eat a rainbow of different colored fruits and veggies to get better nutrients you need for better health!
2017 Participating Markets July-November
Wednesday & Saturday
7am – 2pm
100 E Market St.
Johnson City, TN 37601
8am – Noon
105 Courthouse Square
Jonesborough, TN 37659
Monday – Saturday
10am – 6pm
101 Boone St.
Jonesborough, TN 37659