POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
AmeriCorps VISTA “Sustainable Engagement”
Position open until filled; accepting applications until August 31.
Joining AmeriCorps is a way to put your idealism into action. As an AmeriCorps VISTA member, you are passionate and committed to the mission of bringing individuals and communities out of poverty. Members make a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. They work tirelessly and focus their efforts to build the organizational, administrative, and financial capacity of organizations like the ARC&D that foster economic development, conserve environment, and assist low-income communities.
AmeriCorps is a real-life education and work experience wrapped into one. As a member, you will learn teamwork, leadership, responsibility and other essential skills that will help you for the rest of your life. And you will gain the personal satisfaction of taking on challenges and seeing results.
What will your year look like at the Appalachian RC&D Council? Working closely with staff, interns and volunteers, the VISTA will be responsible for developing the local food and farm economy in northeast Tennessee, specifically through strengthening sustainable agri-tourism networks and training and technical support for farm businesses. It’s a hefty task with an idealistic long term vision that mandates working with a diverse suite of committed and inspirational partners. If you are up for a challenge, we look forward to your application!
- OSMRE and DOI VISTA One Page Flyer – this document gives an overview of the VISTA team sponsoring this position.
- Dates of Service: November 3, 2015 – November 2 2016 (included a mandatory November 3-6th 2015 VISTA Orientation, location TBD.)
- Full-Time with some special weekend/evening events. VISTAs technically serve 24/7 but we CAN WORK WITH STUDENTS WHO ARE GRADUATING IN DECEMBER.
- VISTA Compensation Summary.pdf – this document lists all benefits in detail.
- Earn approximately $900/month (or 110% of the poverty level), and a Segal Education Award of $5645 upon completion of service.
- Additionally, this position is through the acclaimed Appalachian Coal Country OSME Team through Conservation Legacy VISTAs, and benefits from special training and support through out the year.
•Support ARC&D staff: the Program/Development Coordinator and the Local Foods Promotion Coordinator. And the Board of Directors.
• Help coordinate volunteers and recruit volunteer leaders. Support a volunteer-driven plan of work for the Quilt Trail that may include updating the Trail’s printed and digital promotional materials and creating a 5-year vision for the QT.
•Help lead volunteers in executing a large national symposium for the Quilt Trail in 2016.
•Research and write grants and help manage existing grants and reporting.
•Support annual fundraising events for agricultural programs.
•Write press releases; engage with press to increase their coverage of local food and farm issues.
•Build partnerships with aligned groups/organizations to support ARC&D events and programs by researching community activities, giving presentations, attending partner events.
•Support partners in the development of a New Farmer Academy (starting 2016) in the region.
•Commit a minimum of 10% of time to personal professional development.
- Bachelor or Associate degree.
- Strong speaking and communication skills; assertive with meeting and “networking” with people.
- Persistent, resourceful, and committed to working alongside a community to make change happen.
- Organized and able to balance multiple complicated projects and partners.
- Strong writing skills.
- Familiarly with northeast Tennessee geography and culture a plus.
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable car.
Strong Experience with some of the following:
- Personnel or volunteer management.
- Event planning.
- Managing websites, blogs, WordPress.
- Writing with grant proposals.
- Writing media stories.
Questions about the position:
Emily Bidgood: firstname.lastname@example.org – 423-979-2581
3211 N. Roan St. Johnson City, TN 37601
WANT TO LEARN MORE OR APPLY NOW? Go to: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=61418&fromSearch=true
- Read the full description at the link above.
- Applicants must first create an account with my.americorps.gov and apply through the link above.
- You will need information about yourself from your resume and also two references.
- Applications will then be referred on to the ARC&D and we will contact qualified candidates individually.
- Interviews will be scheduled as soon as qualified applications are received, the position is open until filled.
- If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact Emily Bidgood, see above.
Some of our many partners that the VISTA will work with: